Over the past few months we have seen a few Windows servers with a black screen.
- You can’t see the logon promt
- You get a black screen when you connect with RDP
We found that the problem was caused by a change in the Windows color scheme.
The solution is to copy the color scheme from a simular Windows servers registry and add it the VM/server that has the problem using registry to connect to a remote server.
- On a simular windows server locate “[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Colors]” and export it to a file.
- Using the same Registry Editor connect to the remote server.
- Import the registry file just created or change the color scheme manually.
- Reboote the affected server to change the color scheme.