Yesterday I was supposed to receive last months billing reports from our vCloud Director environment.
But for some reason this didn’t happen 🙁

I tried to logon to the VCCB web front end, but that wasn’t possible – the page just timed out.
Then I checked the VCCB  services and all was running.
Just to be sure I rebooted the server, with no luck.

Then I started to be scared…..

I checked the database login credentials, and the were correct.
So what happend?

After a quick google  I found a community thread about changing the IP for the back end database, and from this I located the config files containing the database connection information.

  1. Installation_Directory\apache-tomcat-6.0.18\webapps\vCenter-CB\WEB-INF\classes\hibernate.cfg.xml
  2. Installation_Directory\DataCollector-Embedded\classes\hibernate.cfg.xml

Locate the line

<property name="connection.url">jdbc:sqlserver://10.0.0.100;databaseName=vcenter_chargeback;integratedSecurity=false</property>

Here you can change the connection string as you see fit.
The connection string is based on Microsoft JDBC, so you are able to change it to fit you needs, choosing from all JDBC parameters. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313100

I solved my problem by adding the port number of the MSSQL server to the connection string.

10.0.0.100:14331

I also found that you need to update 2 other config files.

  1. Installation_Directory\Config.xml
  2. Installation_Directory\DataCollector-Embedded\Config.xml

Locate the line

<hostport>10.0.0.100</hostport>

Here you just need to update the IP and/or port number.
I needed to add the portnumber.

<hostport>10.0.0.100:14331</hostport>

As you can see in the config.xml you are also able to change other parameters like

  • Databasename
  • username
  • Password
    This is encrypted so you need to update this through the supplied VCCB tool.
    Start -> All Programs -> VMware -> VMware vCenter Chargeback -> vCenter Chargeback Tools -> Update vCenter Chargeback Database Credentials

When you have updated all 4 configuration files, restart all services or restart the server.

Wait a few minutes and then login to the VCCB web front end….

All is now working 🙂